Firoda National School
Admissions Policy -contact the office for enrolment application form or download it here. Admission Form Download
The Enrolment Policy is being set out in accordance with the provisions of the Education Act 1998.
School Name: Holycross National School
Address: Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny.
Principal Teacher: Mrs Ailish Dunne.
Deputy Principal: Mr. Joseph Meagher.
Ms. Roseann Grace
Miss Elaine Kinsella
Mrs. Kay Murtagh- Learning Support
Miss Olivia Mooney- Resource Teacher
Full range of classes taught, Infants to Sixth Class of mixed gender.
The school depends on grants and teacher resources provided by the Department of Education and Science and it operates within the regulations laid down from time to time by the Department. School policy has regard to the resources and funding available.
The school follows the curricular programmes prescribed by the Department of Education and Science and may be amended from time to time in accordance with Sections 9 and 30 of the Education Act (1998).
Our admissions policy is as follows:
- Children of all denominations are welcome assuming there is a place and the educational needs of the child can be met.
- The Board of Management will endeavour to accommodate children who have transferred to Firoda / Skehana catchment area.
- At all times the needs of the child will be balanced by the ability of the school to deliver according to places available and Department regulations.
- It is school policy to enrol new infants in September only, (except, in the case of new families arriving from another area during the school year). It is our custom to allow the new infants to come to the school for a few hours towards the end of June to help introduce them to the school atmosphere.
- It is not school policy to canvass for pupils.
- We discourage children from outside our catchment area, enrolling in our school.
- We strongly discourage pupils from transferring to us from other schools.
- If pupils from outside the catchment area seek to enrol at our school we clearly point out to them the disadvantages of such practice while respecting their rights to enrol at any school if space allows.
- Children with disabilities or disadvantages will not be precluded from attending our school so long as we have the facilities, resources and expertise necessary to give them a reasonable education. Any such children will be integrated into mainstream classes and will be given whatever extra support it is possible to give.
- Where the number of applications for enrolment are likely to exceed the capacity of the school, priority will be given under the following guidelines:
- Brothers or sisters of children attending our school who have not attended any other Primary school.
- Children of past pupils living in the local catchment area.
- Children living in the local catchment area.
- Children of Teachers working in our school
- Children moving to live in the local catchment area
- Children of past pupils whose parents’ home is not in the catchment area.
- Brothers or sisters of children attending our school who wish to transfer from another Primary school.
- Children from outside the catchment area that are enrolling in a Primary school for the first time
- Children who are transferring from another school but are not living in the local catchment area.
The school reserves the right to suppress these priority guidelines in exceptional circumstances.
- Completion and return of application form does not guarantee a place in the school.
- An indication of the likelihood of a place may be given at any time but only when a place in the school has been formally offered, in writing, by the Principal and accepted can it be taken that a place is guaranteed.
- A higher position on above priority guidelines takes precedence, regardless of date of return of application forms.
- Proximity to the school will determine priority where children are at the same level of priority on above guidelines.
- Date of application will have no bearing on priority. Priority will be decided firstly by above guidelines and then by proximity to the school (as the crow flies)
- If a child is offered and declines a place in the school his /her name reverts to the end of the list.
Decision on Enrollments will be announced after Easter Holidays for the following September